Paducah Inspection Dept. reminding public of campaign sign regulations | News
PADUCAH, KY (KFVS) - The City of Paducah Inspection Department is reminding the public and those involved in a political campaign about the city's regulations regarding signs.
With the May 22 Kentucky primary approaching, candidates are looking to promote their campaign by using temporary signs; however, the candidates and the public need to be aware of the regulations that affect the size and placement of the signs. The department says sign regulations are in Section 126-76 of the Paducah Code or Ordinances which can be found on the city's website.
According to the ordinance, temporary signs which advertise or promote a political campaign or the expression of ideas or beliefs are subject to the following regulations:
- Each sign is limited to 16 square feet in area per sign face with the button of the sign no higher than two feet from ground level
- Only one sign per candidate may be erected on any one lot or tract of real property or every 200 feet if the lot has more than 200 lineal feet of frontage
- Signs must be removed within 10 days following the election event
The department says there are several other regulations that affect temporary signs including:
- No sign shall be placed in any public right-of-way except regulatory signs and those signs for public use
- No sign shall be placed in a location where it may obstruct, impair, obscure, interfere with or be confused with any authorized traffic control sign, signal or device
- No sign shall be attached to any tree, fence or utility pole except by a governmental body or agency
- All signs placed on private property must have the consent of the owner or his agent
According to the department, mobile signs are not permitted within the city of Paducah. A mobile sign is a sign attached to a frame with wheels and capable of being carried, or otherwise portable, and designed to stand free from a building or other structure.
For more information about the regulations on signs, you can call the Inspection Department at 444-8636.
Copyright KFVS 2012. All rights reserved.